The Mattress Factory is currently accepting submissions to be
considered for inclusion in upcoming 2019 exhibition programmatic year. Submissions
will be accepted now through Feb. 1, 2018. National and international artists are equally welcome to
To be considered, please complete the attached form. Include
a brief cover letter, your exhibition history, a selection of your best images
of past work and a list identifying them. You may also provide video clips, a
professional website link, Vimeo/ YouTube links, and a few publicity items.
If attaching video samples directly, keep files to an upload size of 50
MB or less. Only submit examples of recent work that focus on installation art.
We want to get a sense of your body of work, background and current art
Please contact submission[at]mattress.org with questions. Do
not send images, video or audio files to this email address. A list of answers
to frequently asked questions is provided below. No calls please.
NOTE: There will be no one available to answer questions after 5pm eastern time on Feb 1. Please complete the form to the best of your ability before the midnight deadline. The Mattress Factory can always contact you afterwards if there is a problem with a submission.
Answers to frequently asked questions.
- The Mattress Factory is using the service of Submittable.com to manage our form. If
you are having technical problems, such as with uploading files, try
Submittable’s online help system: http://help.submittable.com/knowledgebase/topics/11810-submitters
- We are only accepting submissions via our Submittable
form. This is necessary to manage the volume of submissions that we receive and
we will not be responding to mailed or emailed materials for this call. Our
form will automatically go offline at midnight EST on Thursday, February 1st, 2018.
- The Mattress Factory is dedicated to installation art. We
look for artists with an appropriate body of work and experience to create a
new installation in one of our galleries. We are open to a wide range of media
including any installation-based approaches to sculpture, architecture, video,
performance, technology, painting and drawing.
- An artist whose practice is strictly two-dimensional is
typically not considered a good match for our programming.
- The Mattress Factory does not consider specific proposals.
We feel that all decisions regarding projects should be made after an artist is
- Collaborative artists should submit examples of past work
that were completed as a team. We cannot evaluate the merits of potential
collaborators who have not worked together previously.
- Concentrate on providing clear and concise images of your
work. Images are the primary way we review materials and are therefore
required. All other materials are considered as supplemental. Image file sizes
need not be larger than 10 in. x 12 in. at 150 dpi.
- We recommend numbering all image files with a zero before any single digits, such as “01” “02” “03” etc. Otherwise the system will order a file numbered "10" before one numbered “2"
- The identification list is for providing information
specific to each image and media file you upload. Basic information such as
title, year, media and a descriptive sentence are helpful.
- Professional websites and videos are reviewed at our
discretion. They are supplemental and are not a good substitute for uploading
- A Vimeo link is the most convenient way for us to review
video files. You may also upload files that are less than 50 MB. Provide only a
brief selection as an introduction to your work.
- A brief cover letter of less than 250 words is
appropriate. Letters may be written to the attention of “Mattress Factory.”